IPG Photonics (Canada) is looking for hardware engineers to join our team. Our products are used to provide quality assurance for high power industrial laser processing applications in advanced manufacturing environments.
This position will involve a wide variety of design, prototyping, assembly, and testing tasks. Adaptability and a willingness to learn new skills are essential. The ideal candidate should be equally comfortable preparing electrical and mechanical drawings in CAD, building mixed electronic / optical / mechanical systems on the engineering workbench, testing the performance of a completed instrument before sending it to a customer, or setting up equipment in the field and training customers to use it. The position is ideally suited to early-career engineers in the electrical, instrumentation, robotics, mechatronics, or systems integration fields.
Note: As of December 2017, Laser Depth Dynamics was acquired by IPG Photonics and has become IPG Photonics (Canada) where we will become IPG’s new center of product development for weld monitoring solutions.
- Post-secondary degree in electrical engineering or a related field.
- Strong oral and written English communication skills.
- Ability to create and interpret electrical and mechanical technical drawings.
- Experience with wiring, soldering, and standard electrical test equipment.
- Ability to conduct telephone & in-person conversations in a professional manner.
- Detail-oriented worker able to perform precision tasks independently.
- A commitment towards persistent personal and technical skills development.
Preference will be given to applicants with the following qualifications & qualities
- Hands-on experience with the product design, development, prototyping, and testing process (eg. design team work).
- Experience with industrial control systems, PLCs, robots, embedded controllers, fieldbus interfaces, and/or networking protocols.
- Experience with electrical and mechanical CAD systems and workflows.
- On track to receive P.Eng licence.
- Oral and/or written skill in German, Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, or Japanese.
- Develope, validate, and implement improved manufacturing and testing methods for mixed electrical / optical / mechanical systems.
- Build and test electronic and mixed-domain subsystems for customer-facing products and for internal tools.
- Design prototype and proof-of-concept electronics, validate the designs through testing, and assist in making them production-ready.
- Set up, maintain, use, and support laser lab systems and industrial automation equipment for internal R&D and for customer demos.
- Provide technical support and training for customers and distributors, with possible international travel.
Must be authorized to work in Canada, have a valid passport and be eligible and willing to travel to US and EU countries.
Please send inquiries and applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. We thank all applicants; please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.